Military Records are in the custody of the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis.
To request a copy of a DD-214 or other records, an individual must provide:
– Veteran’s complete name used while in the service
– Service number
– Social security number
– Branch of service
– Inclusive dates of service
– Date and place of birth
Requests must be sent to: National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Fax (314) 801-9195
Phone (314) 801-0800

DD-214s can now be requested online. The National Personnel Records Center provided the
following website for veterans to request their DD-214 online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/.
Requester still has to mail or fax a signature page to NPRC to complete the process.
All requests for records must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin. If the veteran is
deceased, a copy of the death certificate must accompany a request.
Note that a fire at the Records Center on 12 July 1973 destroyed a major portion of records of Army
personnel who were discharged between 1912 and 1959, as well as Air Force personnel records for
the period 1947 through 1963 with surnames Hubbard through Z. If the veteran suspects that his or
her records may have been involved in the 1973 fire at NPRC, a request should also include; place
of discharge, last unit of assignment, and place of entry into the service.
One of three options may apply for a veteran who does not have his or her Purple Heart medal, or
another decoration:
1. The veteran did not receive a Purple Heart, believes he or she is eligible for a Purple
Heart, but military records do not reflect that he was awarded a Purple Heart. The
veteran must complete the Application for Correction of Military Record (DD Form 149, Sep
2007) and send it to:
Army (Active Duty personnel) Army (Other than Active Duty)
Army Board for Correction of Military Records Army Review Boards Agency
1901 South Bell Street, 2nd Floor Support Division, St Louis
Arlington, VA 22202-4508 9700 Page Avenue
St Louis, MO 63132-5200
Marine Corps & Navy Air Force
Board For The Correction of Naval Records Air Force Personnel Center
2 Navy Annex, FPC/DPPPR
Washington, DC 20370-5100 550 C Street West, Suite 12
Phone (703) 614-1402 or 2133 Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714
Coast Guard
Board for the Correction of Military Records
245 Murray Lane
Room 5126, Mail Stop #0900
Washington, DC 20528
The application must be accompanied by proof or evidence, such as statements of witnesses,
medical records, newspaper articles or other pertinent correspondence.
2. The veteran received a Purple Heart, or another medal, has lost it and wants it replaced.
The veteran must submit a request to:
National Personnel Records Center Medals Section
(Army, Marine Corps Navy or Air Force Reference Branch)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
3. The veteran has not received a Purple Heart medal, but believes his or her military records
include evidence of having been awarded the Purple Heart, or any other decoration. The
veteran first must submit the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. The
form and other information is available on line at http://vetrecs.archives.gov, or at the
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St Louis, MO 63132-5100

Leave a Reply