MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The 2019 Purple Heart Scholarship application package is now available. Scroll to the bottom of this page for the link to the application located under “Purple Heart Scholarship Program Forms”.
Funding for the 2019 Purple Heart Scholarship Program has been provided by a generous grant from Mr. Frederick W. Smith.
If you have any questions please call Stewart McKeown at MOPH Headquarters (703)-642-5360 Ext: 108 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Purple Heart Scholarship Program is a competitive scholarship program that awards scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year.
To be eligible to apply for a Purple Heart Scholarship, each applicant needs to be a member of one of the following categories:
- A Purple Heart recipient who is also a member of MOPH,or
- The spouse of a Purple Heart recipient who is a Member of MOPH, or
- The direct lineal descendant (child, step-child, adopted child, grandchild or step-grandchild) of a Purple Heart recipient who is a Member of MOPH, or
- the spouse, widow/widower, or direct lineal descendant as defined above of a service member killed-in-action or who died of wounds. If the Purple Heart recipient is listed as killed-in-action or died of wounds, supporting documentation must accompany the application.
A Purple Heart recipient who is living and not a member of the MOPH can become a member by applying online through the MOPH website: www.purpleheart.org. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, your Purple Heart recipient must be a current member, a member at the time of his or her death, or documented as killed-in-action or as having died of wounds. If you do not know whether your Purple Heart Recipient was a member of MOPH before his or her passing, please contact MOPH Headquarters for assistance at (888) 668-1656 or (703) 642-5360 and ask for MOPH Membership.
Great-grandchildren are not eligible to apply. A MOPH Associate membership or membership in the MOPH Auxiliary does not by itself convey scholarship eligibility.
In order to receive a Purple Heart Scholarship, applicants must meet the following three requirements:
- Be a graduate or upcoming graduate (current senior) of a high school or GED program, and
- Accepted by or enrolled as a FULL-TIME undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. college, university, or trade school at the time the scholarship is awarded, and
- be able to demonstrate the capacity for advanced academic achievement or technical proficiency as demonstrated by maintaining at least a 2.75 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on an un-weighted 4.0 grading system. Graduate students and students going back to school to receive additional undergraduate degrees after successfully completing at least one prior undergraduate degree program are not eligible to apply.
A full-time student means carrying 12 or more credit hours per semester, or 18-quarter credit hours, or as determined by the school. The academic requirement of a 2.75 GPA may be waived for a Purple Heart recipient who is a member of the MOPH.
An applicant may receive a maximum of two scholarships awarded in non-consecutive years. Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, incidental fees, room and board, and other direct costs associated with higher education. Purple Heart scholarship funds cannot be used for transportation expenses, summer school, to pay pre-existing educational loans, or to pay for a special program/research project.
In addition, one of the recipients of the Purple Heart Scholarship is also selected to receive the Navy SEAL LT Michael P. Murphy Memorial Award. LT Michael P. Murphy was killed in action in 2005 in Afghanistan and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions. This scholarship is awarded in his memory and funded by the Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation of Riverhead, New York.
Click Here for information on the 2018 Navy Seal Lt. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Award recipient.
Purple Heart Scholarship Program Forms:
Click Here to download the 2019 Purple Heart Scholarship Application.
Click Here to see the list of scholarship recipients for the current Scholarship Program Year.
Click Here if you are a Scholarship Recipient to download the required “College Information Form” *(Required if you received a confirmation letter)
Click Here if you are a Scholarship Recipient to download the required “Multimedia Consent Form” *(Required if you received a confirmation letter)
If you have any questions about the Purple Heart Scholarship Program, please contact. Stewart McKeown at MOPH Headquarters (703)-642-5360 Ext: 108 or Email: email@example.com
The Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) Scholarship Program is designed to provide financial support to Purple Heart recipients and their families for the direct costs of higher education. It covers things like tuition, books, incidental fees, and room and board.
To qualify, you must be one of the following:
- A Purple Heart recipient and member of the MOPH. (Learn more about membership at www.purpleheart.org, or call 703-642-5360);
- The spouse or surviving spouse of a Purple Heart recipient and member of the MOPH;
- The direct lineal descendant (child, step-child, adopted child or grandchild) of a Purple Heart recipient and member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart Foundation; or
- The spouse, surviving spouse or direct lineal descendant (child, step-child, adopted child or grandchild) of a service member killed-in-action or who died of wounds.
Download the 2018-2019 MOPH Scholarship Application along with instructions, eligibility requirements, required documentation, and answers to frequently asked questions.
In 2017, the MOPH Scholarship Committee awarded a total of 90 scholarship checks to 87 recipients. Eighty (80) awards were funded through the MOPH Scholarship Committee, two (2) were funded by the LT Michael Murphy US Navy Seal Memorial Foundation, six (6) were funded by Wounded Warriors Family Support, and two (2) were funded by the Arthur Peters Memorial Fund. Check out the 2017 MOPH SCHOLARSHIP winners.
Have questions? Contact MOPH Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (703) 642-5360.